How Much Do Bloggers Make? Like, Really?
A blogging career has some pretty incredible perks like working from home and being your own boss. But can you actually make serious money from blogging? As a professional blogger, I’m here to tell you YES. So, how much do bloggers make?
Professional blogger, huh?
How much do you really make just writing about ‘stuff?’ Like, really?
I can understand if you’re asking these questions because we were also thinking them when we started.
I think because blogging starts as a hobby for most people, and the societal perception on running a blog is a little less than glamorous.
- To strangers, it sounds like a hobby.
- To friends and family, it sounds like unemployment.
Last Christmas, my Aunt asked Lauren and I, after a year of being full-time bloggers, when we were quitting that whole blogging thing and “getting a real job??”
Truth be told, we don’t mind. Sure, I could be offended, but I even chuckled a little bit when she asked.
Why don’t we care anymore?
Because being a professional blogger has some insane perks that I’m sure my aunt doesn’t know about…
- Work your own hours and anytime you like
- Make over $100,000 per month blogging
- You can work remotely and travel the world if that’s your thing #digitalnomadlife
- It’s challenging, and challenges are a good thing.
- It will teach you more about running a business than almost any other profession because you have to wear every hat in the business.
- It will make you a better writer, which has been proven to make you a better thinker.
- The money is passive and amazing.
JUST AS IMPORTANT: It’s fun!
Blogging as a career is one of the most fun professions I’ve ever had and that competes with running a private personal training practice, being a bouncer at one of the hottest bars in Dallas, TX, and working at a company that restores Black Hawk helicopters.
And if you’re reading this and seriously considering starting a blog, make sure to check out our guide on how to start a profitable blog before you go.
Right now, I want to address a few questions that you’re probably thinking… “How much do bloggers make?”
- Some make $1,000 per month.
- A few of us make over $50,000 per month.
- A very small few make $100,000 per month.
- There is an even smaller few making 1,000,000 or more per month!
Lauren and I are currently sitting at the $50,000+ per month mark, and it has taken us about a year and a half to reach that point.
Pretty crazy, right??
Let’s look at some examples of proof:
Here is a Screenshot of our Stripe account from our first year blogging (We started the blog on 9/25/15 but didn’t monetize before then, so it starts in January)…
Here is a snapshot of some of our accomplishments over the last year:
- Currently, we’re making on average $15,000-$30,000 per month blogging on our health and wellness blog Avocadu.com,
- Have made up to $40,000 in a single month blogging
- Made $103,457.98 in our very first year as bloggers
- We have also taken this blog, Create and Go, to over $20,000/month, making our total blogging income over $50,000/month.
We publish our blogging income never to brag, my friends, only to inspire and show you what is possible.
- Smart Passive Income – Pat Flynn is currently making well over $100,000 per month on his 6th year blogging
- Pinch of Yum – Recipe blogging for seven years and making well over $50,000 per month
- Making Sense of Cents – Blogging for five years and making well over $100,000 per month
- Survival Life – Blogging for four years and makes over $1,000,000 per month (jaw hits the floor)
- Learning Herbs – Makes over $20,000 per month blogging about herbs
Here is another question we get a lot that makes me chuckle.
For all of you preferred video learners out there, here is a video of this topic from our Youtube Channel below.
.For more free blogging tips and tricks from us, make sure to subscribe to our Youtube channel!
How much do bloggers make on average??
Well, folks, that’s kind of like asking “what do businesses make on average?”
- Most make nothing.
- Fewer a little.
- Fewer still make a lot.
That’s going to depend on some factors. What are the reasons for the income variance in blogs?
They are the same reasons for income variance in any business…
- Effectiveness of communication
- Trust built with your audience
- But without a doubt, the #1 most important aspect of making an income with a blog is execution.
Just like with all businesses, it does not matter how good your business idea is if you fail to execute!
The insanely cool part about making money with a blog is you can make great money in almost any niche.
Hell, the guy from Learning Herbs teaches you how to use and consume the weeds and in your yard and makes over 20k per month.
Important tip: The ability to monetize your blog has little to do with your blog niche and more to do with your execution.
You can monetize any blog. Which probably leads to another common question…
Are some blogging niches more profitable than others?
- Make money online
- Stock trading
These are all highly profitable niches in the blogging world that people make a lot of money with.
Buuuuuut, this is where most new bloggers make a HUGE mistake.
They start in a niche that is profitable when they have absolutely no experience in that blog niche.
I can’t tell you how many “personal finance” blogs I have seen where people running the blog have no idea what they are talking about.
There are thousands of blogs that don’t produce any real money because the owner isn’t a professional, has no real passion for the niche, or isn’t knowledgeable enough on the topic.
Pro Tip: People can tell when you’re talking out your ass.
Your readers, who believe it or not are real people, are going to see right through you.
It’s much smarter to just start a blog in something you really care about and turn it profitable along the way.
Besides, what I think you’re really asking is:
How risky is this? Do I have any chances of success?
First, I would say if a personal trainer and accountant can create a successful blog in a year, I’m sure you can too!!
Again, I’ve seen people succeed in some crazy markets with no real experience running a blog.
But I will warn you that obviously, people do fail to monetize blogs.
Here are the main reasons why:
- They expect a ton of results without any work. Blogging is not a get rich quick scheme that requires no work. The sooner that you realize that putting in the work is the real “secret,” the better off you will be.
- They talk out their ass. Please don’t be that person. Stick to subjects you know or are committed to learning.
- They never actually start. Sad but true. People can are often too focused on their fears of starting a blog when what you should be doing is taking action and learning from your mistakes along the way. I did it too at the beginning!
That being said, I think succeeding as a blogger is pretty easy. It comes down to just a few things…
- Work hard, because there is no magic bullet.
- Provide lots of value to people, because blogging is about providing real value to others.
- Keep after it. It does not matter whether it takes six months or six years for you to reach $10,000 per month online. The freedom coupled with the money is worth the time spent fighting for it.
Start a Profitable Blog Today!
Again, one of the biggest lessons in life I have recently learned is this:
Think less, and act more.
I think the focus on content consumption in our society has turned us into a bunch of over-thinkers who take little to no action.
We think we know it all without ever actually trying anything.
For some of you, this mean’s starting your blog right now. If you’re ready to get started, please visit this post on How to Start a Successful Blog and get started today.
It costs just $2.75/m to get started with Bluehost, and we walk you through the entire process!
Here are some additional resources you may find helpful:
Co-Founder, Create and Go
P.S. Have you launched your blog yet? If not, this is the ultimate FREE 7-Day eCourse on Starting and Launching Your Blog from scratch. Please check it out and join the THOUSANDS who are already talking about it.
If you enjoyed this article on the topic of how much do bloggers make, please leave us a comment below or feel free to ask us any questions!