How We Made $75,336.84 Last Month Blogging While Living in Lisbon, Portugal
Welcome to our Blog Income Report September 2017! This month, we were in Lisbon, Portugal and had our best month of blogging ever!
That title sounds too good to be true, eh?
I wouldn’t believe it either unless it had happened to me…
Below is going to be our latest income report intermixed will be some of my favorite photos from our trip.
If you’re new to Create and Go or these posts you may be wondering – “Why publish income reports?”
Because money talks.
One of the more fun and interesting parts of blogging is that you figure out more and more about yourself as your blog grows and moves forward.
It changes. It evolves. And most importantly it, and hopefully you as well, grow.
When Lauren and I started Create and Go, we danced around the subject of publishing income for fear that our readers are going to think of us as:
- Money Hungry.
In the safe space of Pinterest bloggers, it’s much easier to talk about your passion for your blog than your internal focus and desire for profits.
That’s just not Pinterest-worthy…
Yes, we are passionate about our blogs, but the truth is a lot of that passion lies in the success we have.
Another way to say it: When we don’t make money, we feel like poop about it.
It’s only been through a lot of self-examination and internal change that I have really figured it out for us – where money fits for us in relation to blogging.
Money, to us, is freedom.
When we started out just two years ago, we lived off the income reports of other bloggers because it was the fuel we needed to keep pursuing our dreams.
We’d look at Thundercats like Michelle from Making Sense of Cents and think about how that money would change our lives. How much a difference an extra $1,000 per month would make, let alone $100,000.
The truth is this:
Now, you won’t see Lauren and I driving a supercar or buying new Yeezy’s because that’s not why money matters to us.
And yes, DUH, your family and relationships matter too. It’s scary that I feel the need to preface that. But the truth is that it matters a lot.
Money matters because it gives us the freedom to design our days how we want and live life on our terms. To do the things we want to do, when we want to do them, how we want to do them.
It’s the ability to live in Portugal, sip on wine with the best of friends, and see some pretty amazing sights…
…without having to worry about our dwindling bank account constantly or going back into an office with some boss who is paid too much.
That’s why we publish income reports, my friends.
Because freedom matters.
Because money matters.
And blogging matters.
If you’re reading this and thinking: Starting a blog and making six figures sounds pretty rad Alex-man, I’d like to get started… then make sure to check out this awesomesauce tutorial on how to start a profitable blog, starting at just $2.75 per month (this low price is only through our referral link).
In addition to being a great deal, you also get a free website domain ($15 value) through our Bluehost link if you purchase.
Starting a blog the right way has been one of the most important X-factors in how we made over $70,000 this month blogging. So click here to start a successful blog if you’re ready to get started!
In September of 2017, our revenues from Avocadu were $17,277.43, The Health Nerd $4,353.45, and Create and Go made $53,704.96.
You will notice that Create and Go has been added to the mix and will be in the income reports from here on out.
It should be known that we took Avocadu to over $10,000 per month before we even started Create and Go. We didn’t just make our money blogging about blogging. We monetized our health and wellness blog WAY before that!
So far, we have kept our income for Create and Go on the down low. There was a reason for that.
We wanted the focus of our website and what we do and what we teach to be on the successes and failures that we have had with our health and wellness blog.
There are a LOT of folks teaching people how to make money online these days that didn’t actually make their first bit of money online until they started teaching others how to do it.
We find that to be slightly dishonest and very confusing. We wanted the focus to be on our blog that was in a completely separate niche so that our readers in their various niches could better relate to our content.
That being said, the level of success that we have achieved through blogging is literally changing our lives. We’ve been able to travel the world and visit multiple countries over the last year all while running our online business.
We don’t want to hide these numbers or our success with you, and we want to share our travels and experiences with you, both professionally and personally.
We do still want the focus to remain on our separate blog, Avocadu, so we will only be publishing detailed numbers for that blog as well as our health and fitness YouTube Channel, The Health Nerd.
For all of you preferred video learners out there, here is a video of this topic (plus some extra tips!) from our Youtube Channel below.
.For more free blogging tips and tricks from us, make sure to subscribe to our Youtube channel!
Ok, end introduction. Let’s get into the numbers!
Blog Income Report September 2017 – $74,901.88 in One Month Blogging
Show Me the Money
From our health and wellness blog, Avocadu.com:
- Digital Products and Services: $10,945 (Learn how to create and sell your own digital products and services with Six-Figure Blogger)
- Probiotics Supplement Sales: $1,932
- Ads: $3,907
- Affiliate Products: $494
From our health and fitness YouTube Channel, The Health Nerd:
- Digital Products and Services: $2,397
- Ads: $1,812
- Affiliate Products: $144
From this website, Create and Go:
- Revenues: $53,706
Total Revenues: $75,337
- Credit Card Processing Fees (on products sold): $482
- COGS (Probiotics): $202
- ClickFunnels: $97 (See our full review on Clickfunnels)
- ConvertKit (Emails): $379 (See our full review on ConvertKit)
- Hosting + Domain (Bluehost): $97 (Note: This includes VPS service.) (Check out our tutorial on how to start a successful blog)
- Tailwind (Pinterest Scheduling and Analytics: $15
- Social Media Warfare (Social icons and sharing): $2
- Misc. Office, Education, Equipment M&E: $3,118
- Other Subscriptions, Software, and Website Expenses: $1,932
(Note* Our expenses were a lot higher than normal this month due to our moving into a new apartment and buying new desks, computers, etc.)
The Health Nerd:
- Credit Card Processing Fees (on products sold): $90
- Teachable (Course Hosting): $99
- Outsourced Work: $971
- Other Subscriptions, Software, and Website Expenses: $104
Create and Go:
- Expenses: $19,031
Total Expenses: $26,619
SEPTEMBER NET INCOME: $48,718
Proof of Blogging Income (from Avocadu)
(*Note: We only show proof of income from Avocadu in order to keep this income report from getting too long and bogged down by 10 different photos of income due to the various sources and methods of payment. It’s more so you get the idea that it really does exist 😉 )
One Phrase to Describe This Month:
What. The. Fiddlesticks.
Lauren and I somehow pulled off our best month ever despite living in Lisbon with the WifiTribe and all the fun times and distractions that come along with group living…
Here are some of our favorite pictures from the trip:
In Porto, Portugal checking out the sites. Feel free to follow me on Instagram if you’re into that sort of thing.
Lauren and I love hiking and we went on a hike through the Peneda-Geres National Park where this little guy followed us for the 5-hour hike.
We named him Spotche and he was a little tuckered out.
Ate wayyyyyy to many of these custards, pastels de nata. Portugal has some mad delicious pastries.
That and the best wine you’ve ever had at $2-4 a bottle… We gained weight.
Lisbon has their own “golden gate” bridge. You can see the Jesus statue behind it. We also had fun with some architecture that was on the inside of a castle!
The beaches and people were legend – wait for it – dary. (How I Met Your Mother fans? Anyone?)
Truth be told, we could fill an entire blog post with this stuff, but would only create something like that if we get a lot of requests for it.
However, keep in this in mind while you are looking at our adventures:
Having a great month while not working that much seems to always be followed by some repercussions.
I predict a hard hit in October for both businesses.
This is due to a couple of reasons:
- All of these adventures meant a lot less time on our computers writing content, sending emails, and connecting with our audiences. Our sales have dipped in the couple weeks that have followed.
- We’re getting closer to year-end, which always brings a major drop in sales in both of our niches.
The next 3 months will continue to decline naturally due to it being the end of the year. This is something that we expect and prepare for.
Here are some other things we did:
We Outsourced a Majority of the Work on The Health Nerd and This Happened…
And to be honest, the quality of the work made me cringe.
Even though we hired great people, it just was not up to the standards of The Health Nerd and both Dale and myself were disappointed by the end result.
I’m not sure what to do with The Health Nerd now, and its future remains uncertain.
Ironically, we just received our 100,000 subscribers plaque as this happened:
Here’s the lesson here:
Just because something is incredibly popular with your audience doesn’t mean it will make you money, folks!
We’re up to 250,000 subscribers at the time that I’m writing this, and we have decided to put this business on hold for a while and simply collect the residual income it makes.
It simply isn’t generating us enough revenue for the amount of time we put into it despite the fact that our audience LOVES our videos.
It’s disappointing, but we have other projects to focus on that provide us more growth, success, and happiness. Like WANDR!
We Published a New WANDR VIDEO
WANDR, what I promise to be the last online biz I create for a while, published its next video on our trip to Nicaragua we took in July:
And we have already received over 600,000 watches on our Facebook page!
If you’d like to go subscribe to the channel that would be awesome and much appreciated. Our Facebook page is much bigger, but we’d love to build up a solid YouTube following.
Upsells and Restructuring at Create and Go
One of the things you’ll discover about having a successful online business is that the structure of your business is just as important as what you’re selling.
Great product with poor structure = Nobody shows up to buy.
Poor product with great structure = People show up but few make a purchase.
Great product with great structure = Money $$$.
The reason being is that Teachable didn’t really have a proper way to upsell and we were not sure how we felt about upselling high-priced products.
This, is, kind of silly. Especially since…
- Our customers love our products.
- Teachable just released a one-click upsell option.
So now those upsells are performing very well because we have made very good offers behind our products.
This and a successful launch of our Launch Your Blog Course was the reason for the increase in sales.
We’ve Set Some Roots Back Down in Grapevine, Texas.
Not permanent roots, but we have signed a year lease on an apartment in Grapevine, Texas. For the next 2-3 months, we are halting traveling and hunkering down for a few reasons:
- Four months straight of traveling is exhausting. We went from Seattle to Mexico to Costa Rica to Portugal. While we are INCREDIBLY grateful for this opportunity, we realized that we appreciated each trip just a little bit less as time went on. Our businesses weren’t growing as quickly as we liked due to the distractions, and we ultimately decided that what we really needed was a BALANCE.
- We are leaving a lot of money on the table with Create and Go. There are so many ways for us to grow our income with C&G but we haven’t been accomplishing them because of the lack of focus that we have had over the last few months (traveling). A couple of months of Lauren and Alex style DEEP WORK and focus is going to set us up for an insanely fun and successful 2018!
- We have tons of friends here. Your community matters for your happiness and while we LOVED living in Austin, we really didn’t have any close friends out there. Working online leaves you feeling isolated most of the time, so it’s important to spend time with close friends and family.
Don’t worry. We’ll still be traveling and making dope videos in 2018. This is just going to need to be a period of growth in our businesses.
Avocadu is Getting into Amazon FBA
As stated before, Avocadu.com has been at a standstill for awhile.
While it makes awesome money, growth has been stagnant over the last few months. We’d like to see it continue to grow. We have debated for awhile on how to do this, but think we have come up with an incredible solution.
We are going to partner with my sister who is going to make us some Amazon FBA products for Avocadu.
Getting to the top of Amazon search for virtually any product comes with serious income potential.
We are going to combine the audience that we have with a product line that will sell and see if we can get some products to the front of Amazon.
Updates on that to come. We plan on launching our first couple on Nov 1st, 2017.
Create and Go is Getting into Webinars… Eventually…
It’s going to happen.
When we were building Avocadu, we tried out webinars but opted not to do them for a few reasons:
- They are not passive. At the time there was really no way to scale a webinar system unless you can hire out the presenting.
- They are not evergreen. When we started, there was not a way to make a webinar evergreen that felt comfortable to me. It seemed like the best option was to fake it being “live”, which seemed rather deceptive to me.
- Our products were not priced high enough to run ads to. If you’re not selling high-priced products, running webinars with ads becomes impossible to make profits off of because leads today can cost you around $3.
This has all changed.
Thanks to some of the latest software and tools as well as where our Create and Go business is at, I will be able to accomplish all of these things with webinars.
The goal of the webinars will be to educate potential customers with some more detailed information on our courses that hopefully leads to more sales.
And if we can create profitable ads that are scalable, then tell all the big boys and girls of the internet marketing world to look out. Here we come.
Create something awesome today, guys!
Co-Founder, Create and Go
P.S. Have you launched your blog yet? If not, make sure you sign up for our FREE 7-Day eCourse on Starting and Launching Your Blog from scratch! Check it out and join the THOUSANDS who are already talking about it.
If you enjoyed this article on our Blog Income Report September 2017 or have any questions for us, please leave them in the comment section below!
Alex & Lauren
Latest posts by Alex & Lauren (see all)
- From Accountant to Professional Blogging Career: How I Quadrupled My Salary in Two Years - April 23, 2018
- The 4 Phases of Online Blogging Success: Poop to Profits - April 8, 2018
- Why is No One Signing Up for My Email List on My Blog? - April 2, 2018