Blog Income Report October 2016 – $18,996.97 Blogging
Hey, blogging family! Welcome to our Blog Income Report October 2016 for our health and fitness blog, which includes how we make money blogging and what we do differently each month.
For those new to seeing these income reports, they may come across as a little strange.
For those of you who understand the deal-io, you can skip past this brief explanation to the “Show me the money!” section.
There are lots of folks out there talking about making money online.
I can’t get through my Facebook news feed these days without seeing an advertisement of some rando with a big cheesy smile talking about their life-changing webinar… LOTS of people running around calling themselves gurus and influencers.
Even worse and more confusing, there are lots of blogging “experts” that only make money blogging about making money blogging.
The sad truth about some of these “experts” is that they didn’t make money online until they began to teach other people how to make money online…
Which is pretty unhelpful if you have a blog on an unrelated topic.
Just so you know, the blog that we took from $0 all the way up to 10k+ per month in less than a year is in the health and wellness niche: Avocadu.com.
We found great success (and a lot of failures along the way) in that blog BEFORE we started this one. Our income reports are solely based on Avocadu’s performance.
They are not only a way for us to inspire you and show you the potential of making money online and how to make money blogging, but it’s a way for us to connect with you and help you avoid the many mistakes we made on our own journey.
We know that it’s pretty strange having our friends, families, and loved ones know how much money we make, but that’s the tradeoff we choose for the transparency this provides.
We hope this goes to help you better understand why we post these reports! 😛
Show me the money!
From our health and wellness blog, Avocadu.com: $18,996.97
Our expenses vary from month to month, but we pay for a variety of software for hosting, email marketing, sales pages, and more, including:
- Bluehost (Blog hosting)
- ConvertKit (Email marketing)
- LeadPages (Email opt-in landing pages)
- Teachable (Sales pages + course hosting)
- ClickFunnels (Sales pages + eBook hosting)
- Tailwind (Pinterest scheduling and analytics)
- Social Media Warfare (Social icons and sharing)
Proof of Income and Traffic
If you would like to learn how we generate this kind of traffic to our blog every month, you can check out our Pinterest eCourse to see how: Pinterest Organic Traffic Avalanche.
One word to describe this month:
For all of you preferred video learners out there, here is a quick video on this income report from our YouTube Channel below.
. For more free blogging tips and tricks from the experts, make sure to subscribe to our Youtube channel!
Long story short, we decided to go to Bali for the month… Not Kidding.
This photo was taken of us hanging with the Wifi Tribe in the rice fields! We stayed at Roam.co for the majority of the trip, and it was nothing less than spectacular. The rest of the photos you’ll see here were from our trip.
These are the best lattes Lauren or I have ever had found at The Alchemy in Bali if you ever visit… More importantly, over a long talk with these yummy lattes in our bellies, Lauren and I had a few realizations…
- We had been neglecting Avocadu.com for both Create and Go and The Health Nerd.
- Our health needed to come FIRST before our blog.
- Growing a business while traveling across the world is basically impossible.
Let’s tackle these one-by-one, shall we??
We had been neglecting Avocadu.
Running three separate business can sometimes feel a lot like trying to juggle knives on a unicycle. It’s crazy, hectic, and always feels like one move away from disaster in spectacular fashion.
One of the biggest problems we face is the tunnel vision of project completion and forgetting about the details.
Over those lattes, Lauren and I decided it was time to turn our attention back to Avocadu and make some big changes. Two of the biggest changes:
- Complete overhaul of Avocadu.com to take things to the next level. Seriously, the site redesign already looks AMAZING. It’s mid-December when I am writing this, but the blog should be done very soon. Time to compete with the big boys!
- Redo our sales pages and add video training to the 21-Day Challenge. We took care of most of this in Bali and already added in video training before we left. Next up we are also going to add a professionally done sales page video to our 21-Day Challenge that I’m sure will boost conversions. We even hired a female voice actor to do the recording instead of my voice since we mostly sell to women.
These major overhauls, in particular, are going to set us up for an amazing 2017.
Our health needs to come FIRST before our blog.
Being unhealthy in Bali is basically impossible. Everything is fresh, eating out is healthy and cheap, and alcohol is EXPENSIVE. Like $100 for a small bottle of Grey Goose expensive…
The entire experience reconnected Lauren and me with our passion for health and wellness.
I know that may sound strange, but the stress of running a blog, even a fitness blog, was actually hurting our health for a while. Mainly the stress was leading to high amounts of binge eating and drinking. We didn’t take breaks often, but when we did… We’d go ham.
Thankfully, Bali helped us get back on track. We have decided to put our health IN FRONT of our blogs at the moment.
- No more late nights in front of the computer until the wee hours of the morning.
- Workouts will no longer get put on the backburner for projects.
- Junk food and sugar will NOT be used to celebrate victories.
We have decided to take things to the next level. Plus, the crazy part about putting health FIRST is that it actually has improved our personal performance and productivity…
- More energy and enthusiasm to create
- Higher quality sleep is leading to us waking up earlier and getting more done.
- Just a happier sense of wellbeing and purpose
Listen, it’s not like Lauren and I are crazy unhealthy or anything. We just felt like a lot of times we knew what to do, but couldn’t overcome those cravings and temptations we all feel. No more! 🙂
Actively growing a business while traveling across the world is basically impossible.
Here’s the thing: Growing a successful business is hard. Growing three successful businesses is harder, and growing three successful businesses and traveling the world is damn near impossible.
That’s just the facts. I know that’s not sexy to say, but growing these businesses and traveling on a tight budget was KILLING us.
There is a big difference between running a business and actively growing it.
Lauren and I can easily run our businesses from anywhere, but actively growing the businesses is a much different ballgame.
Especially when the travel budget is tight (Yes, we make good money, but we are not dummies with that money. We are saving and investing for the future). For instance, it took us 36 hours and two long layovers just to get to Bali on a cheap airline. That’s a lot of added stress and time away from our blogs to be cool travel bloggers.
So here’s what we decided: We decided to settle back down in the States for a little while and focus on growing the businesses. Once our blogs are at a place of serious financial stability (probably mid-2017), we will then travel whenever we’d like without the added stress of trying to grow the business as fast as possible.
We will just focus on running the blogs at their current success and not trying to build our eCourses in Indonesia on bad wifi.
We are not done traveling or anything like that – just going to make sure we are traveling on our terms the next time we do it!
3 Big Takeaways from our October Income Report:
- Put your health before your business. It will very likely improve your business.
- Keep the main thing the main thing. Keep focused, folks.
- Active (successful) growth requires enormous effort. Much different from simply running a business is actively growing it. There’s a time for everything and our time to grow is NOW.
Winter is coming…
Health and fitness traffic takes an incredible drop during the holidays (Nov-Dec) followed by an even more voracious PEAK during the month of January.
We have prepared for this both mentally and professional to handle the blow. So just keep this in mind when the income reports for November and December tank. 🙁 Everything is fine. It’s just a natural (and expected) part of running a health and fitness blog!
New to blogging? We’ve got a MESS of resources for you if you’d like to fire things up:
Best Articles for People Who Have Not Started Blogging:
- How to Start a Successful Blog – Step by Step Beginners Guide
- FREE 7-Day eCourse on How to Start a Blog
- How Much Does it Really Cost to Start a Blog
- Blog Niche Ideas – 3 Steps to Find a Fun and Profitable Blog Niche
- What is a Blog? – How it Works + The Difference Between a Blog and a Website
- How Much Do Bloggers Make? Like, Really?
- How to Overcome Your Fear of Starting a Blog
Articles for the Peeps Who HAVE Started a Blog:
- How to Make Money Blogging (We Make Over $100,000/Month)
- Why is No One Signing Up for My Email List
- 17 Best Blogging Tools for Beginners and Beyond
- How to Monetize Your Blog – Free 4 Day eCourse
- What is Pinterest and How Does It Work for Bloggers?
- How to Grow Your Small Business or Blog on Pinterest – FREE 4 Day eCourse
- Affiliate Marketing for Bloggers – 6 Tips for Making 6 Figures
- The Ultimate Guide to Creating and Selling Digital Products on Your Blog
Create and Go
P.P.S. What’s the coolest place you’ve travelled to that had an impact on you? Share it with us in the comments section below…
Alex & Lauren
Latest posts by Alex & Lauren (see all)
- From Accountant to Professional Blogging Career: How I Quadrupled My Salary in Two Years - April 23, 2018
- The 4 Phases of Online Blogging Success: Poop to Profits - April 8, 2018
- Why is No One Signing Up for My Email List on My Blog? - April 2, 2018