Blog Income Report July 2017 – How We Made $25,904.67 in One Month Blogging
Welcome to our blog income report July 2017 for our health and wellness blog, Avocadu.com and our health and fitness Youtube channel, The Health Nerd!
It’s a little weird publishing our income reports for all of our friends, family, and loved ones to see, but that’s the tradeoff that we accept for the transparency that it provides to our audience.
We never publish to brag – only to show our followers and readers just what is possible with a small blog, some hard work, and a lot of determination!
Actually, the negatives of my income being known happened this past month to me (Alex) pretty hard.
It sucked and I basically lost a friend and some serious respect for a person over it. I couldn’t believe how poorly their attitude changed towards me once they realized it and the expectations of handouts that followed suit. It was sad.
But to be honest, if my income is the reason we lose our friendship, how good of friends were we ever really anyway?
If you are interested in starting a successful blog for yourself, we made an awesomesauce tutorial on how to start a profitable blog, starting at just $2.75 per month (this low price is only through our referral link).
In addition to being a great deal, you also get a free website domain ($15 value) through our Bluehost link if you purchase.
Starting a blog the right way has been one of the most important X-factors in how we made over $30,000 this month blogging. So click here to start a successful blog if you’re ready to get started!
Before we get started, you may or may not have realized that we skipped a report on June this month. Sadly we just get very behind on content creation while we were focusing on growing our new YouTube Channel (more on that below).
In June of 2017, our revenues from Avocadu were $22,250.83 and $3,416.55 from The Health Nerd.
In this income report for July 2017, we will show you the detailed numbers for July like we usually do but the explanation and strategies sections will actually cover what we have learned over the last TWO months!
Show Me the Money
From our health and wellness blog, Avocadu.com: $22,876
From our health and fitness YouTube Channel, The Health Nerd: $3,028
Our expenses vary from month to month, but we pay for a variety of software for hosting, email marketing, sales pages, and more, including:
- Bluehost (Blog hosting)
- ConvertKit (Email marketing)
- LeadPages (Email opt-in landing pages)
- Teachable (Sales pages + course hosting)
- ClickFunnels (Sales pages + eBook hosting)
- Tailwind (Pinterest scheduling and analytics)
- Social Media Warfare (Social icons and sharing)
Proof of Income
[Sadly my “charts and graphs” tab has disappeared from my PayPal account, so I can’t post the usual graph of sales. This screenshot was the best I could find. We’ve contacted PayPal about it!]
One Phrase to Describe This Month:
Let’s talk about some real shit.
Lately, it’s become super hard for me (Alex) to stay focused. While I love what we do and am excited for the money we make, my brain has become distracted.
It’s been tough because part of me feels like I’m letting Lauren down.
She’s been putting more time into our businesses lately and is becoming the real head behind Create and Go.
And here’s why…
The Rise of WANDR
Both a blessing and curse have been created over the past two months.
Lauren and I have been working out ways to get our travel paid for awhile. Yes, we make good money now, but let’s face it… Travel is still ridiculously expensive.
We originally thought of combining travel with this blog (hence the name Create and Go) as another way to show what our blogs have allowed us to do. But it ended up making the blog a little too cluttered, to be honest.
Then we travelled to Peru.
And in Peru, Dale (Lauren’s little broski) and I got to chatting.
The three of us decided to start a separate company to use as a vehicle to experience cool things and get our travel paid for at the same time. Lauren’s brother is a videographer, so this seemed like a perfect fit!
We’d make dope travel videos and vlogs for YouTube and partner with hotels and experiences in exchange for some travel freebies.
Fast forward a month, and not only did we get this project started, but it absolutely BLEW UP.
Our first video on our trip to Peru has now been watched over 1.8 MILLION times and shared in the 40,000+ range on Facebook.
Just to give you a better idea of the virality, we went from about 20 to 15,000 Facebook fans in ONE DAY!
You can check out our first video here:
Please feel free to subscribe to our new YouTube Channel as well! 🙂
We can’t believe how fast this is moving!
And now that I’ve had a couple weeks since the explosion to digest everything, I’ve had a chance to clarify what we are trying to actually do with WANDR.
WANDR is really our first attempt to become “influencers” – even though I loathe that stupid word.
Because becoming a travel influencer means:
- Free stays at a lot of the places you travel to
- Free dining, experiences, and adventures
- Basically everything free because you have people’s attention
On top of that, we will be able to use the platform to sell courses that help people capture their travels and vacations better.
As many of you probably realize, becoming an influencer is no easy task.
Everyone in the WORLD wants to be known by others. It’s an innate human experience and because of this, the competition to become an “influencer” is stupidly high.
That being said, I think the combination of Dale’s video editing, my marketing experience, and Lauren’s business level-headedness is why things are moving so crazy fast.
And while the growth we have seen has been incredible, it has led to some unexpected consequences…
The Fall of The Health Nerd
Because of the time, love, and attention, WANDR needs to grow, The Health Nerd is suffering greatly.
We just don’t have the time to produce the video content. One video a week has quickly fallen to one video a month, at best.
This has led to slower subscriber growth and even slower sales of our weight loss course, The Science of Fast Weight Loss.
Youtube is one of those platforms that GREATLY rewards regular content and GREATLY punishes lacking content.
So, The Health Nerd’s subscriber rate and income have GREATLY fallen. But here is the good news…
The Solution is Easy
It’s time to outsource The Health Nerd.
From my calculations, we make enough money on the posting of each video to pay for a scriptwriter and a video editor.
I will still do the voice because we think that is absolutely necessary for the consistency in the Channel at the moment, but that’s an easy job.
Even if we broke even from this proposition, the channel will grow 10x faster with a normal publishing schedule (one a week).
Over time, I do expect to see it regularly pull in $10,000/month passively and reach 1 million subscribers.
Finding and training the right writers on Upwork and video editors will take a lot work, but it’s something that we HAVE to do if we plan to grow both WANDR and Create and Go.
Experiments We are Running in the Coming Month:
MASSIVE YOUTUBE PUSH – Create and Go
Alright YouTube, I’m coming for ya.
I swear it.
While I’ve been super distracted lately, I know what an impact being a stronger Youtuber will make on our businesses and our lives.
I’m done dancing around this one. It’s time for me to use my obsessive personality and focus it in the video direction.
YouTube has been an invaluable tool for creating transparency, building trust, and driving traffic and sales to our blog.
I am well aware of how to grow a Youtube channel quickly. There are basically two paths that you can choose:
Post the Dopest Content Ever
This was The Health Nerd’s formula.
- Posting around once a week.
- The videos have to be AMAZING – like incredible quality content that people will wait for.
- Polished and professional
- Keyworded to perfection for organic search growth
Post Valuable Content Daily
This is going to be the route we head with Create and Go’s YouTube Channel. It involves:
- Posting 5-7 days a WEEK
- Videos have to provide value – usually centered around a niche (in this case, blogging)
- Live video is even better (Youtube LOVES that shit)
- Less polished and more relatable
So basically, I’m about to start blowing this Youtube game UP.
Here’s my first live video doing some blogging questions and answers:
Make sure to subscribe to our Youtube channel for more awesome blogging content.
It’s about to get lit!
Pro Blogger Bundle
We have seen a trend recently with our Create and Go courses.
**rolls eyes chuckling**
I get it. People want to get the money.
That likely why you follow us. We make money. You want to get there. I get that. I mean, you are reading a blog income report right now…
Money, for better or for worse, matters.
And that’s okay. It doesn’t make you greedy or a bad person. It makes you normal. Money is what allows us to have the freedom to live life the way that we want to.
So, Lauren and I have decided to bundle all of our courses at their discounted price into what we’re calling our Pro Blogger Bundle.
That’s right. The Pro Blogger Course Bundle contains all FOUR of our best-selling courses!
- Launch You Blog (Starting, Building, and Launching Your Blog from Scratch)
- Make Money Blogging for Beginners (Make Your First $1,000/Month with Free Traffic, Affiliate Marketing, and Other Strategies)
- Pinterest Traffic Avalanche (Driving Massive Traffic With Pinterest)
- Six-Figure Blogger (How to Make Six Figures Using Affiliate Marketing and Selling Digital Products)
You can check out the Pro Blogger Bundle with our discounted courses here.
Create and Go Income Reports
Welp, this is going to be weird. For a long time, we have avoided publishing our Create and Go income for a few reasons.
One, we like to have some shred of privacy and not have EVERYTHING out there in the open for everyone to see, analyze, and judge. Two, we want to keep this blog and our content relatable by posting results and strategies from a completely separate niche – health and fitness.
We don’t want to be just another blog teaching people how to blog and making their money online by teaching others how to make money online.
We want to emphasize the fact that we accomplished everything in a completely separate niche before creating this blog and teaching our strategies to others.
Part of us looked down upon some of those bloggers blogging about blogging and felt that we were somehow morally superior for reporting how we did on Avocadu without mentioning Create and Go.
But at this point, we basically have to, and now fully we understand why everyone else does it. We make too much money from Create and Go not to tell you about it.
We believe that reporting this additional income will…
- Give more credibility to our blogging knowledge and our courses
- Provide us with more content to share on this blog during the months that we focus more on Create and Go than Avocadu
- Give you even more insight into becoming a successful blogger
- Allow other bloggers to recognize our true level of success, which can lead to partnerships, conferences, and more opportunities for growth
- And yes, probably make us more money… (we’re not going to lie about that one – we’re reaching for higher levels of success just like everyone else)
We are also doing this because we plan to create a new course on how to start, grow, and monetize a YouTube channel, and we don’t use YouTube for Avocadu. We use it for Create and Go.
Publishing some additional info about the revenues that we generate from YouTube will help our readers and subscribers learn and understand how valuable of an asset YouTube can be to their blog.
It may be another couple of months until we reach this point, but it’s coming.
We will obviously separate Avocadu from Create and Go in the reports and clarify that they are completely separate entities.
We look forward to hearing your feedback about this!
More Supplements for Avocadu
Avocadu needs some additional revenue sources. We could very easily grow Avocadu a lot more, but our time is spread very thin among our other businesses.
Our true passion has become Create and Go, and it ends up getting most of our time because of this. That translates into somewhat stagnate growth for Avocadu.
We’ve been hovering around the $20,000-30,000 per month mark but averaging closer to 20k most months. We would like to hit 30k a bit more consistently but also passively, if possible.
Right now, we are looking at some additional ways that we can bring in some more passive income each month.
We have debated quite a few ways of doing this, including:
- Digital Products – We already have two successful staple products, and we aren’t feeling too confident that a third will be as successful or worth our time.
- Affiliate Marketing – Not much money to be made here in the health and fitness niche because product prices (and therefore commissions) are much lower. In order to make real money, we’d have to promote $1,000 courses to our list and trust other fitness entrepreneurs to deliver on their promises. Seems like more of a headache than a solution.
- Supplements – We avoided this for a while because we didn’t believe that any additional supplements would sell like gangbusters and were worried that they wouldn’t be worth the time and effort.
After some deliberation, we chose supplements because we already recommend certain supplements to our audience on our blog and in our weight loss programs, including whey protein, fish oil, and vitamin D.
We have chosen these supplements specifically because I believe (after extensive research) that they are supplements most people NEED and are completely deficient in.
To be honest, Lauren and I could make a &*%^ ton of money with our audience if we created a “fat burner,” but unless the research changes to be more in favor of the product, I don’t feel comfortable doing that.
We are hoping that creating all three of these supplements will lead to an additional $5,000 in profit a month for Avocadu.
New to blogging? We’ve got a MESS of resources for you if you’d like to fire things up:
Best Articles for People Who Have Not Started Blogging:
- How to Start a Successful Blog – Step by Step Beginners Guide
- FREE 7-Day eCourse on How to Start a Blog
- How Much Does it Really Cost to Start a Blog
- Blog Niche Ideas – 3 Steps to Find a Fun and Profitable Blog Niche
- What is a Blog? – How it Works + The Difference Between a Blog and a Website
- How Much Do Bloggers Make? Like, Really?
- How to Overcome Your Fear of Starting a Blog
Articles for the Peeps Who HAVE Started a Blog:
- How to Make Money Blogging (We Make Over $100,000/Month)
- Why is No One Signing Up for My Email List
- 17 Best Blogging Tools for Beginners and Beyond
- How to Monetize Your Blog – Free 4 Day eCourse
- What is Pinterest and How Does It Work for Bloggers?
- How to Grow Your Small Business or Blog on Pinterest – FREE 4 Day eCourse
- Affiliate Marketing for Bloggers – 6 Tips for Making 6 Figures
- The Ultimate Guide to Creating and Selling Digital Products on Your Blog
Digital Products and Services Sold:
Last month, we made $16,978 selling digital products and services (eBooks and online courses). This is always going to be where the bulk of our income is made because selling your own products has a much higher earning potential.
If you would like to know how we did this, make sure to check out our most advanced blog monetization course, Six Figure Blogger.
Note that this is an ADVANCED course. It does not cover the basics of traffic or writing content. It delves much deeper to cover copywriting, sales funnels, email marketing, and more.
Our beginner monetization course, Make Money Blogging for Beginners, is what you should take if you are looking to make that first $1,000/month through driving free traffic, affiliate marketing, and other awesomesauce strategies.
Create something awesome today, guys!
Co-Founder, Create and Go
P.S. Have you launched your blog yet? If not, make sure you sign up for our FREE 7-Day eCourse on Starting and Launching Your Blog from scratch! Check it out and join the THOUSANDS who are already talking about it.
P.P.S. Our Youtube Channel is on the come-up at 12,918 subscribers and growing! Please subscribe for more free content!
If you enjoyed this article on our Blog Income Report July 2017 or have any questions for us, please leave them in the comment section below!
Alex & Lauren
Latest posts by Alex & Lauren (see all)
- From Accountant to Professional Blogging Career: How I Quadrupled My Salary in Two Years - April 23, 2018
- The 4 Phases of Online Blogging Success: Poop to Profits - April 8, 2018
- Why is No One Signing Up for My Email List on My Blog? - April 2, 2018