Blog Income Report December 2016 – $11,378.83 Blogging
Hey, blogging family! Welcome to our blog income report December 2016 for our health and fitness blog!
For those new to seeing these income reports, they may come across as a little strange.
For those of you who understand the deal-io, you can skip past this brief explanation to the “Show me the money!” section.
There are lots of folks out there talking about making money online.
I can’t get through my Facebook news feed these days without seeing an advertisement of some rando with a big cheesy smile talking about their life-changing webinar… LOTS of people running around calling themselves gurus and influencers.
Even worse and more confusing, there are lots of blogging “experts” that only make money blogging about making money blogging.
The sad truth about some of these “experts” is that they didn’t make money online until they began to teach other people how to make money online…
Which is pretty unhelpful if you have a blog on an unrelated topic. Just so you know, the blog that we took from $0 all the way up to 10k+ per month in less than a year is in the health and wellness niche: Avocadu.com.
We found great success (and a lot of failures along the way) in that blog BEFORE we started this one. Our income reports are solely based on Avocadu’s performance.
They are not only a way for us to inspire you and show you the potential of making money online and how to make money blogging, but it’s a way for us to connect with you and help you avoid the many mistakes we made on our own journey.
We know that it’s pretty strange having our friends, families, and loved ones know how much money we make, but that’s the tradeoff we choose for the transparency this provides.
Also, we pay attention to the other big bloggers that do income reports… And frankly, they inspire us.
Sometimes just knowing that life-changing income is possible is all the mind needs to move forward past the pain of starting out.
These reports help fan Lauren and I’s flame… It gives us the fire to do better and to push harder. The extra nudge to put in those extra 2 hours at the end of a long day. I think that stuff matters.
We hope this goes to help you better understand why we post these reports. 😛
Show me the money!
- From our health and wellness blog, Avocadu.com: $11,378.83
Our expenses vary from month to month, but we pay for a variety of software for hosting, email marketing, sales pages, and more, including:
- Bluehost (Blog hosting)
- ConvertKit (Email marketing)
- LeadPages (Email opt-in landing pages)
- Teachable (Sales pages + course hosting)
- ClickFunnels (Sales pages + eBook hosting)
- Tailwind (Pinterest scheduling and analytics)
- Social Media Warfare (Social icons and sharing)
Proof of Income and Traffic
If you would like to learn how we generate this kind of traffic to our blog every month, you can check out our Pinterest eCourse to see how: Pinterest Organic Traffic Avalanche.
One phrase to describe this month: Hold on tight!!!
For all of you preferred video learners out there, here is a quick video on this income report from our Youtube Channel below.
. For more free blogging tips and tricks from the experts, make sure to subscribe to our Youtube channel! Here’s what happened…
Sales Stayed Afloat?
Honest thoughts… I was pretty damn pleased that we ended up making $11,378.83 in the month of December. Being the worst month for health and wellness traffic… The fact that we still made that kind of money blows my mind. When compared to December 2015, where we made exactly $0 online, I’m happier than a pig in slop to know that we earned that much (analogies thanks to growing up in Texas).
I mean, there were a few days in there where I thought we made only 1-2 sales. My heart skips a few beats on days like those…
Sometimes it’s hard to keep the doubts and fears at bay. But seeing the overall numbers brought big toothed smiles to both Lauren’s and my faces.
The highs (40k/month in July!) and the lows… We’ll take them all. January should be a solid month!
Web Redesign Finished and Looking Mighty Sexy
We went with a cleaner, professionally designed website for both opt-ins and user experience. Make sure to check it out at Avocadu.com if you have not already. We’re pretty pumped about it!
3 of the biggest changes as far as overall design that you’d be interested in…
- Much more optimized for opt-ins and lead collection
We took a lot of time and thought into the structure of our opt-in collection. We wanted something that wouldn’t interfere with user experience as much as our scroll mats (sort of a popup upon arrival), yet still capture leads at the beginning of an article.
Conclusion: The new lead collection is KILLING IT.
We have probably doubled or tripled our old method of lead collection and improved user experience (a rare win-win when it comes to design).
- Homepage clean as a whistle
This does not matter as much for conversion, but what we had before was pretty miserably done. Just a big phat photo of Lauren and I on the homepage… It was pretty lame.
We wanted something that looked more professional (and like we knew a thing or two about what we were doing…).
We now have additional opt-ins, products, and killer navigation that will hopefully inspire readers to visit more articles.
- Much better mobile experience
80%-90% of Pinterest traffic comes in as mobile visitors. This is KEY if you’re planning to get any traffic a la Pinterest. Our website looks sooooo much better on mobile.
This better mobile experience has also to be attributed to the 2x-3x opt-in rate we are operating at. This will lead to more followers, sales, and everything in between.
In the last income report, I whined for awhile about the difficulty of launching a quality supplement in the eCommerce space. Well, all of those headaches are finally paying off. Check out the page here: Gut14.com
It’s sexy, it’s clean, and it’s ready to be sold! We will not do an official launch to our list until we tighten things up a bit and work out the kinks.
We will start by sending a light amount a traffic to the page every day. How, you may ask? By linking the probiotic into:
- Current blog posts
- Backend of our products like the 21-Day Fat Loss Challenge
- Email sequences
- Youtube videos
This will bring a “light” amount of traffic in, so we can test it and make sure everything works. It’s much different from actively trying to drive traffic to the page via a launch or ads. No need to rush it to try to make quick sales… Our list of 30,000+ subscribers will still be there when we’re ready!
Youtube Come Up
So as many of you know, Lauren and I kill it on Pinterest, driving 500,000+ monthly visitors to our blog. That being said, we have our reservations about the mastery of just one platform. It’s pretty risky with constant algorithm changes.
You never know. We have thought long and hard about what other traffic we want to go after…
- Google SEO
- Guest Posts
- Email Drops
There are lots of ways to drive traffic to a website.
However, we have landed on the next place we are going to additionally grow and monetize our audience – Youtube. Why? Glad you asked, dearest reader.
- Youtube is a search engine. Just like Pinterest, it’s a search engine that can be hacked and deciphered to drive traffic to your blog or website.
- People spend $$$ when they know you’re real. A weird phenomenon I learned from my boy Marc Augustine over at DS Genie. He was running this tiny Youtube Channel with really low-quality videos of him just yapping and cursing away about drop shipping into the camera.
I didn’t think much of it until he starting telling me his conversion rates. He was getting like 1-2 new people into his $100/month software with EVERY VIDEO HE MADE. WTF??
It kind of blew my mind at the time… We have actually been experimenting with this on Create and Go, and WOW it really, really works.
There’s something about seeing the actual bloke blogging in real time that provides a sense of trust found nowhere else.
It’s for these reasons we will be ramping up videos at Avocadu.com AND on Create and Go, making a big Youtube presence in 2017.
If you love the content that we put out, make sure to check out our Youtube Channel, Blog and Go, and subscribe to see more like it!
- I’d rather pour molten lava all over my naked body than go after Google SEO traffic. I have read almost every article out there about it. It’s a game begging and outreach.
Constantly pestering websites for links like the Tron version of a hobo is NOT what I want to spend time on as a blogger. Just not my thing.
We don’t bother with it on Avocadu because health and fitness is WAY too competitive. It would take us YEARS! The only focus we have on it is a bit of passive attention we give it with Create and Go.
This niche is far less competitive (although it’s growing rapidly), so we do try to properly keyword most things. But again, we spend the least amount of time on it possible, and it is not something that we are actively working on (like Pinterest and Youtube). To sum up our feelings on Google traffic…
Moving on to something that IS worth your time…
- Youtube is a challenge. Getting on camera is not easy and pushes me to get better at what I do. Same with Lauren (I’m trying to yank her big butt on camera as much as possible these days, and she hates it!).
It exposes much about how you think, speak, and how lame some of your ideas are. It’s critical in the growth process.
- It has like 800 bajillion daily users. So that’s pretty sweet, I guess.
I could go on for awhile with this, but I want to wrap this Youtube idea up in a statement to any readers of Create and Go:
If it’s possible for you and your brand in any way, getting on Youtube is VITAL. It’s going to be an easy way to leverage traffic as a blogger on a completely separate platform and increase conversions.
Don’t hide. Get out there and show ya fine self! Let’s put a wrap on this thing!
My book for this month for you to listen to is Titan by John D Rockefeller. If you didn’t know, back in the early 1900’s, John D was the richest man in the world, building Standard Oil into a basic monopoly and raking in billions along the way.
The crazy thing… He came from nothing. He had no inheritance. His father was a complete douchesnozzle, and yet this kid went on to literally change the world.
There’s something strange that happens to the brain when you read biographies about other people who are crazy successful. Specifically, I learned from John D:
- He always paid close attention to the little things.
- He was always in constant search of how to improve on even the most minute and unseen things.
It reminded me of what I learned about Steve Jobs trying to perfect the inside of the damn computers. Doing his best to leave no stone left unturned.
It gave me new inspiration for our blogs and how we should approach things. Let’s wrap this up.
- Mobile matters. 80% – 90% of traffic is coming from mobile. It’s a mobile world out there, and you’d be wise to be playing around on your website, optimizing the experience.
- Youtube is the next come-up. We all know that the world is moving increasingly towards video. If you have the capability, get on it. You can start by doing a short video walkthrough of your current posts and embedding them into the posts themselves. Check out our channel for examples.
- Do the little things right.
New to blogging? We’ve got a MESS of resources for you if you’d like to fire things up:
Best Articles for People Who Have Not Started Blogging:
- How to Start a Successful Blog – Step by Step Beginners Guide
- FREE 7-Day eCourse on How to Start a Blog
- How Much Does it Really Cost to Start a Blog
- Blog Niche Ideas – 3 Steps to Find a Fun and Profitable Blog Niche
- What is a Blog? – How it Works + The Difference Between a Blog and a Website
- How Much Do Bloggers Make? Like, Really?
- How to Overcome Your Fear of Starting a Blog
Articles for the Peeps Who HAVE Started a Blog:
- How to Make Money Blogging (We Make Over $100,000/Month)
- Why is No One Signing Up for My Email List
- 17 Best Blogging Tools for Beginners and Beyond
- How to Monetize Your Blog – Free 4 Day eCourse
- What is Pinterest and How Does It Work for Bloggers?
- How to Grow Your Small Business or Blog on Pinterest – FREE 4 Day eCourse
- Affiliate Marketing for Bloggers – 6 Tips for Making 6 Figures
- The Ultimate Guide to Creating and Selling Digital Products on Your Blog
Co-Founder, Create and Go
How to Start a Blog: FREE 7-Day eCourse for Beginners
Get the exact step-by-step formula we used to start our niche blog that made us $103,234.34 in our first year!
Alex & Lauren
Latest posts by Alex & Lauren (see all)
- From Accountant to Professional Blogging Career: How I Quadrupled My Salary in Two Years - April 23, 2018
- The 4 Phases of Online Blogging Success: Poop to Profits - April 8, 2018
- Why is No One Signing Up for My Email List on My Blog? - April 2, 2018